Weblog 39
October 22, 2006~ 9:00pm
Decided today that all my online writing of poetry is behind me: it's part of a past life. Henceforth only observations, anecdotes, pictures, points of view, and that sort of thing is what I am willing to share on the internet. To print it goes- self published, but on good old paper.
That said, I'm getting ready for bed here and gathering up the week's trash (of which the last 15 poems written this week are a part...lol) and diving back inside my Michael Crichton novel, "Prey". Wow. That one has GOT to be made into a movie--- it's so wonderfully suspenseful! I am musing too on the pronunciation of the author's name. Why is it we say "CRY-ton", when it's spelled like a word that rhymes with itch?
Is the 'ch' silent??
Ah well......no matter how you say it, that fella can tell a story. I still get the shivers remembering 'The Andromeda Strain' and 'Jurassic Park'. Just terrific books made into equally successful films. He was born to make the leap to screen with his unmatched ability to bring plot, suspense, intelligence and realistic characters all together.
So back I go, into the out-of-control world of swarming nanocreatures, who shouldn't be able to think and evolve into little beings with their own agendas, but who naturally have done so. That's the compelling theme at the center of so many of his books- the horror of developing technology when there's a lack of respect for its potential to become nightmarishly out of control and hostile once profit enters the picture.
You GO, Michael. Absolutely.
October 23, 2006~ 7:00pm
Nothing to report. Book still good. Will soon curl up with it again. I keep thinking of the fragment of a Ginsberg line..."boxcars, boxcars, boxcars", and it seems that's all it really is...life. A ride. We're sight-seeing. Train-spotting itself when not a passenger, and all of it blurred in the action of watching, riding- with no one thinking of destination, just the click-clack and the sway- the metal spinning on metal, the sparks when the brake is pulled.
First snow today. Time is barreling. We are a whistle stop away from Christmas. One good spit from Halloween and miles--- m-i-l-e-s-- from any sense at all. We are a race of creatures never learn. That's one thing I'm thinking today- and most others as well- and we're approaching individual cliffs. No one prepared, everyone waiting to get to the next BoomTown....
October 24, 2006~ 5:15am
Had eight solid hours of sleep. I guess that's an accomplishment for a Monday night. I got nowhere with the book last evening because I started pecking at it and rearranging lines, became all balled up, hated all of it, and just quit. I think I put one new poem in there and that was it. I should step away from it for a day or so; work on the Blue House this evening for a change of pace.
If there is such a thing as 'weaning' off the internet, that is happening to me. Everywhere I look, it's the same old same old and 98 percent of it, depressing as hell. I bought a movie Wayne wasn't interested in, so if I don't even feel up to the House tonight, maybe I'll throw that into the DVD player and watch it. I'm about 10 pages from the end of the Crichton novel. It was a fast read, good, good story- and how could I just stop that close to the end? Yep. I could see the ending clear as day and was just filled with a sense of despair at ending it. I liked living there for a few hours a day, scary as the place was with its nanocreatures swarming and taking over people's wills; making them into zombies, it was kind of like the internet in a way. Maybe I made a subconscious connection and found it to be the most depressing thought of all. LOL!!
Got to get dressed for work here. Step out into this cold, cold morning. Broke down and turned the furnace up to 60. I like a cold house, but it was getting a little ridiculous. I just hate to think of the gas company rubbing their greedy hands together, counting up the lucre for the fall and winter season. Damn corpse-pickers.
October 24, 2006~ 6:45am
Just had to pop in here and mention that I heard on NPR this morning that the Bush White House is finally coming to the realization that Iraq is now in a state of civil war. Can anyone say.......MORONS! Did anyone with half a brain have any doubts about that at all? And now we face the 'tricky business' of deciding 'which side to back'....(it may have been a good idea when we went in there like Eliot Ness to have realized then there were no 'sides' and haven't been since time immemorial. That it's a tangled spaghetti of radical factions in a corner of the world that despises outside influence.)
Again....can anyone say....MORONS!!

October 25, 2006~ 6:30pm
Gonna have today be the cut-off date for this 'diarising' for a while. Maybe after Christmas again...dunno.
I'm working on my second book of poems, lost in edits and avoiding it every which way I can (LOL!) but keeping occupied elsewhere, so sumpthin' has to go-- this is it. I'll be putting up some new 'funnies' in the MAD, mAd, mAD, MaD World section soon, so you can take a gander at that, but daily dribblings are cut off for the immediate future.
"Merry Christmas!"
Note:
As per usual, this has now changed-- disregard much of what I've written on this page. It looks like the country is coming back to its senses after 7 years of lunacy, and me to mine after a few weeks. I find I cannot write in a total vacuum, so I've created a very small, hard-to-enter board where a few folks I trust have been generous enough to follow and read, if not post. So I am 'off the boards'- but on a designated one of my own. The book has been put aside as a horribly exhausting undertaking, and an idea I'm shelving for now. Perhaps in the quiet and barren landscape of January and February I may take up with it again, but who can say? The only constant in life is change. That much is true, and HOORAY to all Democrats! We did it!
***
(Return To Weekly Archives)
Decided today that all my online writing of poetry is behind me: it's part of a past life. Henceforth only observations, anecdotes, pictures, points of view, and that sort of thing is what I am willing to share on the internet. To print it goes- self published, but on good old paper.
That said, I'm getting ready for bed here and gathering up the week's trash (of which the last 15 poems written this week are a part...lol) and diving back inside my Michael Crichton novel, "Prey". Wow. That one has GOT to be made into a movie--- it's so wonderfully suspenseful! I am musing too on the pronunciation of the author's name. Why is it we say "CRY-ton", when it's spelled like a word that rhymes with itch?
Is the 'ch' silent??
Ah well......no matter how you say it, that fella can tell a story. I still get the shivers remembering 'The Andromeda Strain' and 'Jurassic Park'. Just terrific books made into equally successful films. He was born to make the leap to screen with his unmatched ability to bring plot, suspense, intelligence and realistic characters all together.
So back I go, into the out-of-control world of swarming nanocreatures, who shouldn't be able to think and evolve into little beings with their own agendas, but who naturally have done so. That's the compelling theme at the center of so many of his books- the horror of developing technology when there's a lack of respect for its potential to become nightmarishly out of control and hostile once profit enters the picture.
You GO, Michael. Absolutely.
October 23, 2006~ 7:00pm
Nothing to report. Book still good. Will soon curl up with it again. I keep thinking of the fragment of a Ginsberg line..."boxcars, boxcars, boxcars", and it seems that's all it really is...life. A ride. We're sight-seeing. Train-spotting itself when not a passenger, and all of it blurred in the action of watching, riding- with no one thinking of destination, just the click-clack and the sway- the metal spinning on metal, the sparks when the brake is pulled.
First snow today. Time is barreling. We are a whistle stop away from Christmas. One good spit from Halloween and miles--- m-i-l-e-s-- from any sense at all. We are a race of creatures never learn. That's one thing I'm thinking today- and most others as well- and we're approaching individual cliffs. No one prepared, everyone waiting to get to the next BoomTown....
October 24, 2006~ 5:15am
Had eight solid hours of sleep. I guess that's an accomplishment for a Monday night. I got nowhere with the book last evening because I started pecking at it and rearranging lines, became all balled up, hated all of it, and just quit. I think I put one new poem in there and that was it. I should step away from it for a day or so; work on the Blue House this evening for a change of pace.
If there is such a thing as 'weaning' off the internet, that is happening to me. Everywhere I look, it's the same old same old and 98 percent of it, depressing as hell. I bought a movie Wayne wasn't interested in, so if I don't even feel up to the House tonight, maybe I'll throw that into the DVD player and watch it. I'm about 10 pages from the end of the Crichton novel. It was a fast read, good, good story- and how could I just stop that close to the end? Yep. I could see the ending clear as day and was just filled with a sense of despair at ending it. I liked living there for a few hours a day, scary as the place was with its nanocreatures swarming and taking over people's wills; making them into zombies, it was kind of like the internet in a way. Maybe I made a subconscious connection and found it to be the most depressing thought of all. LOL!!
Got to get dressed for work here. Step out into this cold, cold morning. Broke down and turned the furnace up to 60. I like a cold house, but it was getting a little ridiculous. I just hate to think of the gas company rubbing their greedy hands together, counting up the lucre for the fall and winter season. Damn corpse-pickers.
October 24, 2006~ 6:45am
Just had to pop in here and mention that I heard on NPR this morning that the Bush White House is finally coming to the realization that Iraq is now in a state of civil war. Can anyone say.......MORONS! Did anyone with half a brain have any doubts about that at all? And now we face the 'tricky business' of deciding 'which side to back'....(it may have been a good idea when we went in there like Eliot Ness to have realized then there were no 'sides' and haven't been since time immemorial. That it's a tangled spaghetti of radical factions in a corner of the world that despises outside influence.)
Again....can anyone say....MORONS!!

October 25, 2006~ 6:30pm
Gonna have today be the cut-off date for this 'diarising' for a while. Maybe after Christmas again...dunno.
I'm working on my second book of poems, lost in edits and avoiding it every which way I can (LOL!) but keeping occupied elsewhere, so sumpthin' has to go-- this is it. I'll be putting up some new 'funnies' in the MAD, mAd, mAD, MaD World section soon, so you can take a gander at that, but daily dribblings are cut off for the immediate future.
"Merry Christmas!"
Note:
As per usual, this has now changed-- disregard much of what I've written on this page. It looks like the country is coming back to its senses after 7 years of lunacy, and me to mine after a few weeks. I find I cannot write in a total vacuum, so I've created a very small, hard-to-enter board where a few folks I trust have been generous enough to follow and read, if not post. So I am 'off the boards'- but on a designated one of my own. The book has been put aside as a horribly exhausting undertaking, and an idea I'm shelving for now. Perhaps in the quiet and barren landscape of January and February I may take up with it again, but who can say? The only constant in life is change. That much is true, and HOORAY to all Democrats! We did it!
(Return To Weekly Archives)




...
. or pay a visit to my Audio site to hear things
I've written-
Some are just 'jotters', thoughts as they fly- going
nowhere but where they are. If you stop and read a few~ or post a
few~ thanks for
the perusal. Last of all, if you've a hankering for rants and raging,
try making a stop at my other blog-




