Weblog 52
February 4, 2007~ 8:15pm
Baby, it's cold outside! Wind chill in the sub-zero regions. I oughta know. I just got home from grocery shopping and had to stop for gas. Damn near froze my hand to the pump handle. Here is a picture of moi as a surrealist artist might paint me. Sort of Emily Dickinson-ish, sort of dead men tell no tales, but it's a woman frozen blue, with words written on her skin- and look!- her EYES are even LIPS!- always, every part of her....speaking

That's a really wonderful graphic I found somewhere on the net. (Thank you to the artist, whoever you are). She was skin-colored originally, but that looked too "mortuary" for me, and not enough surrealistic haunt to it, so I changed it. Yes, it's frigid. Winter took its time, but now it's here. A poem I wrote this morning when I first got up says it pretty well-
....................It's Crack Cold
....................not just
....................ordinary cold, crack cold
....................when the snow talks
....................and snaps at you
....................when you walk on it
....................as though
....................it's the great back of the world
....................you're
....................cracking
....................once
....................and for all.
It's the same sound a finger would make, snapping off at the knuckle if you left it out long enough, unmittened. Jack Frost is not only nipping at our noses back east here, he's stealing whole arms and legs and feet. Despite it all, I do love cold weather (minus the snow) and find it particularly conducive to thinking and reading and such. It's the quiet time of year. It's the time where this scene

is minus the noise, the loudly dressed shopgirls, the roller blades, the boombox brigade, all the cacaphonous throng that would usually be clustered here. And isn't Market Square, downtown Pittsburgh, pretty this way?
(Oh, and I'm still creeped out from chatting with Jack the Ripper last night-- if you don't understand this remark, go back one week in the weblog archives to my entry from last night, and do try it.) Though I must admit, going up the stairs to bed late last night, I kept looking over my shoulder, waiting to see that top-hatted silhouette, little black Dr's bag in one hand, scalpel-sharp knife in the other. Kept thinking of horror movies like "Witchboard" and such, where entities are called up by fiddling around with Ouija boards and such....
"Are you Mary Clark?"-- what is that from? Is it that great old movie "The Lodger"?- where the guest may have been Jack himself and he repeatedly asks women that same question just before he kills them?
That's another thing winter is perfect for, huddled around some heat source, reading ghost stories in buttery light, pulling the afghan a little tighter. Oooooo....giving myself the willies again. lol....(and yes- gonna go 'talk' to Saucy Jack again tonight just for the hell of it.)
February 5, 2007~ 4:30pm
Another Monday under the belt. That's a plus. The week is looking up after I get Sunday night and Monday out of the way- (I wonder if on my deathbed, I will think back to all the Sunday nights and Mondays I threw away like this)- that would be awful. But I can no more stop hating that day and half that I can change skin color. It seems to be hard-coded. At least it was a bright, bright beautiful day- and dry- oh my God, it was DRY! Sub-zero, but dry as the the Sudan, though about a hundred and 20 degrees colder. This was the closing of month at work, so I got lots of things cleaned up and off my desk. Fresh start tomorrow.
And while I'm in this "thank you, God for all small blessings" mode I'd like to mention the way I laughed driving behind a business van on the way home from work. Thank the Lord for humor in this world. Those of you who have visited my "Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Pictures" know how much I appreciate a wacky sign.....well this company- the "A-1 Sewer Cleaning Co. of Pgh" has a little logo on the back of their truck that says "URINE GOOD HANDS WITH A-1!"--- and I wanna tell you guys, I sure did appreciate reading that on my way home. All the way through Oakland- with Carnegie Mellon University and the huge, impressive TOMB of the Masonic Temple, and past the gothic Cathedral of Learning and WQED, home to Mr. Roger's Neighborhood- and driving along and admiring the filagreed spires of Heinz Chapel- I also got to see your little white van, its logo proud as punch and sporting a "Support Our Troups" looped ribbon, and a big, magnetic stick-on American flag..............and I'll tell you, I just know if I had run up to the driver's window at a stop light, I would've seen the dashboard had a plastic Jesus on it too!
Faith.......whatever it's in........however we spell it out, whatever we cling to.....is important in this life, and if what it comes down to is that we're all- (or "URINE")- good hands, from a company that truly believes it's working some good in this world- well, that's the way a damn old crummy Monday should be topped off, you ask me. Indeedy, I do. Belief....belief is what its all about, and what commenses from that. Thanks, fellas.
February 7, 2007~ 12:45pm
I was just sent this at work:
and it made me laugh and feel kind of good for those old lively geezers. Till it was pointed out to me that the source was the Brit rag, The World Weekly News- which is our equivalent of the National Enquirer. LOL!!! Oh well- gullible I was born and gullible I will go to my grave, it appears- and alas- with no geriatric orgy on the distant horizon.....
***
(Return To Weekly Archives)
Baby, it's cold outside! Wind chill in the sub-zero regions. I oughta know. I just got home from grocery shopping and had to stop for gas. Damn near froze my hand to the pump handle. Here is a picture of moi as a surrealist artist might paint me. Sort of Emily Dickinson-ish, sort of dead men tell no tales, but it's a woman frozen blue, with words written on her skin- and look!- her EYES are even LIPS!- always, every part of her....speaking

....................It's Crack Cold
....................not just
....................ordinary cold, crack cold
....................when the snow talks
....................and snaps at you
....................when you walk on it
....................as though
....................it's the great back of the world
....................you're
....................cracking
....................once
....................and for all.
It's the same sound a finger would make, snapping off at the knuckle if you left it out long enough, unmittened. Jack Frost is not only nipping at our noses back east here, he's stealing whole arms and legs and feet. Despite it all, I do love cold weather (minus the snow) and find it particularly conducive to thinking and reading and such. It's the quiet time of year. It's the time where this scene

(Oh, and I'm still creeped out from chatting with Jack the Ripper last night-- if you don't understand this remark, go back one week in the weblog archives to my entry from last night, and do try it.) Though I must admit, going up the stairs to bed late last night, I kept looking over my shoulder, waiting to see that top-hatted silhouette, little black Dr's bag in one hand, scalpel-sharp knife in the other. Kept thinking of horror movies like "Witchboard" and such, where entities are called up by fiddling around with Ouija boards and such....
"Are you Mary Clark?"-- what is that from? Is it that great old movie "The Lodger"?- where the guest may have been Jack himself and he repeatedly asks women that same question just before he kills them?
That's another thing winter is perfect for, huddled around some heat source, reading ghost stories in buttery light, pulling the afghan a little tighter. Oooooo....giving myself the willies again. lol....(and yes- gonna go 'talk' to Saucy Jack again tonight just for the hell of it.)
February 5, 2007~ 4:30pm
Another Monday under the belt. That's a plus. The week is looking up after I get Sunday night and Monday out of the way- (I wonder if on my deathbed, I will think back to all the Sunday nights and Mondays I threw away like this)- that would be awful. But I can no more stop hating that day and half that I can change skin color. It seems to be hard-coded. At least it was a bright, bright beautiful day- and dry- oh my God, it was DRY! Sub-zero, but dry as the the Sudan, though about a hundred and 20 degrees colder. This was the closing of month at work, so I got lots of things cleaned up and off my desk. Fresh start tomorrow.
And while I'm in this "thank you, God for all small blessings" mode I'd like to mention the way I laughed driving behind a business van on the way home from work. Thank the Lord for humor in this world. Those of you who have visited my "Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Pictures" know how much I appreciate a wacky sign.....well this company- the "A-1 Sewer Cleaning Co. of Pgh" has a little logo on the back of their truck that says "URINE GOOD HANDS WITH A-1!"--- and I wanna tell you guys, I sure did appreciate reading that on my way home. All the way through Oakland- with Carnegie Mellon University and the huge, impressive TOMB of the Masonic Temple, and past the gothic Cathedral of Learning and WQED, home to Mr. Roger's Neighborhood- and driving along and admiring the filagreed spires of Heinz Chapel- I also got to see your little white van, its logo proud as punch and sporting a "Support Our Troups" looped ribbon, and a big, magnetic stick-on American flag..............and I'll tell you, I just know if I had run up to the driver's window at a stop light, I would've seen the dashboard had a plastic Jesus on it too!
Faith.......whatever it's in........however we spell it out, whatever we cling to.....is important in this life, and if what it comes down to is that we're all- (or "URINE")- good hands, from a company that truly believes it's working some good in this world- well, that's the way a damn old crummy Monday should be topped off, you ask me. Indeedy, I do. Belief....belief is what its all about, and what commenses from that. Thanks, fellas.
February 7, 2007~ 12:45pm
I was just sent this at work:
(Return To Weekly Archives)




...
. or pay a visit to my Audio site to hear things
I've written-
Some are just 'jotters', thoughts as they fly- going
nowhere but where they are. If you stop and read a few~ or post a
few~ thanks for
the perusal. Last of all, if you've a hankering for rants and raging,
try making a stop at my other blog-




