Weblog 56
March 4, 2007~ 12:15am

This is as good a representation as any of how I see life: pretty much red flaming hell, but with an innocent joke in the middle of it, standing there defying the hellishness of the rest. Today was a quiet, ordinary Saturday with shopping, dinner and a movie, and I haven't had that in a couple of weeks, what with the horrendous weather. Sadly, the "Texas Chainsaw: The Beginning"-- was one of the goriest, most gruesome things I've ever watched-- so perhaps that's what makes the picture above speak so accurately to me. (I should have had something else on the burner, methinks.) It's left me wondering about human nature, and about myself, and what makes people dream up these things, bankroll them, write them, act in them- or rent them for that matter?
I have to say I'm not real happy with myself right now. Why do we seek out ugliness? Why is titillation via the marriage of sex-and-death and girls running about in skimpy attire while being chased by gross old southern men, then being chopped up, screaming- screaming all the while, something we even characterize as entertainment? And isn't it something we teach ourselves?-- it must be, because not having seen a movie of this genre for a year or so has made them onerous to me. But isn't one movie like this an appetizer for more of the same 'thrills'?
I think only if you court that excitement-- and what I know right now is I don't like it. Don't like the way they make me feel slimy, like I've swallowed a live eel. That being said- I guess it's valuable to look at things like this now and again and ask the only question that ever matters- "why?" If there are suddenly answers after a lifetime of taking this sort of thing for granted in a callous way, then it has value of a kind.
(Note: Since I wrote this, it's been pointed out to me that it's the fact that we're supposed to enjoy these kinds of movies, not be 'frightened' by them, and that their whole purpose is to court the sadist in us-- that's where the feeling of being sickened comes from: that we know they know that- meaning the producers, promoters, marketers of this type of film. And yes, that's pretty 'blech'...)
I think I'd have preferred just being entertained, but there you have it. Lesson learned. On a happier note, I got to tell my grandson Bill, the story of 'Jack and the Beanstalk' last night- his eyes as big as saucers. At the end, he said, "Tell that again"....and that made me very happy. I realized that I enjoy telling stories even better than reading them. And when I don't remember things perfectly, my inventions are pretty entertaining, even to me. Filling in the blanks is wonderfully creative and Bill sure eats it up. Plus, how often in life do we get to say "Fee, fie, fo, fum"-- and have a little face looking horrified, while loving every minute. I think I'll stick to giants and leave the chainsaws to someone else. Not just for Bill, for me too. It's important to know what's scary in a good way, and what is not.
March 4, 2007~ 2:30pm
You know in movies, how when a boat capsizes, there are characters survive by keeping their heads inside a bubble of air? That's the way life feels at times.....like the general atmosphere is poisonous, but there are small pockets of livability within it, and if we strain and stay on our toes, and really think about it, we'll get through.
My weekends are those pockets of air. So is listening to Fresh Air on NPR every afternoon driving home- the fresh-cracked spine of a new novel, a whole half dozen brownies still in the baker box, me drooling- looking at my grandchildren- laughing at things so hard my jaws hurt afterward- writing a poem that comes out just the way you heard it in your head-- these things. These things are the important ones, and it's time for appreciation on this dreary looking Sunday afternoon.
March 5, 2007~ 6:45pm
Winter is on its last legs. That doesn't however preclude a little more of this today....

But I will say, it was the fairytale kind- you know, on the trees, the grass, the roofs of houses- floating through the air, flakes clumped big as quarters- but not on the roads. Yahoo! They stayed dry and black. I do wonder about those little shoots rustling about just under the surface of the ground and getting restless, wanting to poke out and announce themselves. Hope these late March snows do not kill off the prettiness we've been waiting for. Just about everyone I know- no matter how picturesque it looks, is sick of the stuff. And how about these wee guys....

This gal's name is Maude. I found her tonight doing Google searches for images, and there she was-- smiling at me in the midst of snow. She doesn't seem to mind a bit...

...till it makes it a bit harder to see what she's smiling at, that is. LOL! Oh God, these sheep and their baby lambs made me laugh tonight. THANK YOU!

So of course, by the time I got to that one, I was making honking noises like a goose and scaring the cats. These critters live on a wonderful farm in Central New York in a place that has the most astonishing name: The Holy Myrrhbearers Monastery. Go to Maude's Page on that site (actually, there are 13 of them with pictures....BIG pictures....much bigger than the gif files I've created for this weblog) and they are charming. How happy I am that there are places like monasteries and farms in the world where things are slowed down to picking and planting, praying and birthing- in wonder of it all. And softly. Silently. In the reverence we so infrequently give this life. Oh, Maude, I could kiss you! And all the ladies of the orthodox faith who make up the 'Myrrhbearers'- wonderful work. You even gave this late snow a bit more luster for me. I'd love to drive up and see you guys some time. I'll have to see....I'll be visiting West Point frequently in the next couple of years while my son teaches there, so perhaps I'll be close enough to pay a visit.
I love serendipity. Here I was, just looking for a nice picture of snow and I found Maude. See? Life gives us gift-wrapped surprises all the time that are healthy and wholesome and make us feel clean again. Like snow. Like snow does for us......
But I do have to say that snowmen are getting to look less and less benign and a bit more malicious to me...maybe even evil (and that's not simply 'evil', but "E-VILLE" to me at this point) - sorta like this-

Look at that curling eyebrow, the celebration of snow, confetti-like, in this his last hurrah. Frosty, your days are numbered, old man. Snicker all you like. You're puddle, mister!
March 6, 2007~ 8:00pm
It was an evening here of browsing the web. I began clicking on old bookmarks, and came across a site that always amuses me called, "Wordplay"- and they gave a list of the Oddest Book Titles. I have to share with you my favorite, which was ranked first for 2005....

People Who Don't Know They're Dead: How They Attach
Themselves to Unsuspecting Bystanders - and What to Do
About It"- by Gary Leon Hill
which (after laughing) took me to musing about all the ways the dead cling to us, and we cling to the dead. How many of you right now have voices in your heads of relatives, spouses, friends who have passed on, but who still have a strong influence on your life and you continue to hear them speaking on cue? I do that with my dad. Old teachers voices are in there too, and I guess someday when someone says, "Remember when Karen...."- I'll be beating their ears with some old anecdotal follies. One day it will be my hand reaching out of the dirt to grab or point a finger- or just point at something still catches my notice- "Oh look! Look at that flock of geese! Enjoy these now, while you can still hear the flap and swish of their wings moving overhead. I'm hearin' a lot of chains down here...." LOL! No. I don't really believe that- I do indeed think I'll be hearing harps. Or if I'm lucky-- banjos-- and I'll sing with 'em too! I know I'll still be joking around, so if you happen to feel this-

don't be scared. I will only be me, trying to get the last word. As per usual. :)
March 7, 2007~ 7:00am
To the road crews of the City of Pittsburgh:

here's my sentiments. The snow came down......as predicted. If we commuters got the word, how is it you morons ignored it? Right on the money, the forecast was, too. A dusting overnight, followed by S-N-O-W accumulations of up to 3 inches, and more to come. There was an inch and a half of sloppy, treacherous stuff I drove through, along with all the terrified cars with me, following in a collision-to-be queue of horror, all 16 miles of it. Yes, I know you're tired of this precipitation, we all are- but it's your jobs, mutton heads.
Now all I have to do is get home again. O Be Joyful.....
March 7, 2007~ 6:15pm
I came across this "dual meaning" gif today, and loved it. It truly says so much with one image. What do you see when you read this?

Do you see the word "GOOD"? That's what I saw. Look closer......see the second, hidden word pop out at you...."EVIL". And isn't that just like life, too? So many things that at first glance appear to be wonderful- good for you- are hiding something out and out awful underneath, where the truth is. Many religions are like that, couched in so much 'touchy/feelie' rhetoric while underneath lives a band of self-righteous, narrow minds intent on bending the world into a more workable, pliable mass of 'nodders' and yea-sayers. Govenments are often like this. Friendships-- almost any ideology and oh, God, YES, anything fanatical or too good to be true- look a little closer.
You'll begin to see the 'e', 'v', 'i', 'l' begin to take shape, and man, at that point say "Thanks, but no thanks!" and run as fast as your wise little legs can carry you. BEWARE. Take stock. Study a thing, a person, a proposition- and see if there is something underneath entirely different than at first glance. BEWARE ALL ADVERTISING...wherever- or whomever you see wearing it. Trust your gut- not your eyes. Lesson over. Same time tomorrow. Let's make it a 'show and tell'....you first.
March 7, 2007~ 7:00am
"While they’ve appeared sporadically in books by Wharton, Woolf, et al-- magnolias are better known for their silver screen and stage performances. Billie Holiday often wore one in her hair and, of course, there's 'Steel Magnolias'-- 'Magnolia'-- 'Magnolia Street', 'Hotel Magnolia'..."

but this stunning magnolia today is for Al, whose 86 year old mother passed away peacefully last evening. Oh the flowers of our lifetimes!- some are unforgettable, forever-blooming-- and cling to the heart like the sweet scent of magnolias on a balmy spring evening, that stays and stays- to give us a place to rejoice, always. And this too. The words of a hymn-
...Changed in the twinkling of an eye.
...Changed in the twinkling of an eye;
...The trumpet shall sound the dead shall be raised
...Changed in the twinkling of an eye.
...When we gather safely home in the morning,
...And night's dark shadows fly, what a shouting on the shore
...when we meet to part no more, changed in the twinkling of an eye.
Always a comfort. The old ones. The good ones. Much love to my buddy Al, and his loved ones. You are in a place now we all will be passing through, or have passed though, and hugs help like nothing else at this time. I had a dream that I hugged you tightly and we cried together. Did you feel it? I once wrote a poem about how much better things might be "if God's name were Maggie Mae"....well, maybe it is. Maybe this 'Maggie' is what He/She looks like. :)
***
(Return To Weekly Archives)

This is as good a representation as any of how I see life: pretty much red flaming hell, but with an innocent joke in the middle of it, standing there defying the hellishness of the rest. Today was a quiet, ordinary Saturday with shopping, dinner and a movie, and I haven't had that in a couple of weeks, what with the horrendous weather. Sadly, the "Texas Chainsaw: The Beginning"-- was one of the goriest, most gruesome things I've ever watched-- so perhaps that's what makes the picture above speak so accurately to me. (I should have had something else on the burner, methinks.) It's left me wondering about human nature, and about myself, and what makes people dream up these things, bankroll them, write them, act in them- or rent them for that matter?
I have to say I'm not real happy with myself right now. Why do we seek out ugliness? Why is titillation via the marriage of sex-and-death and girls running about in skimpy attire while being chased by gross old southern men, then being chopped up, screaming- screaming all the while, something we even characterize as entertainment? And isn't it something we teach ourselves?-- it must be, because not having seen a movie of this genre for a year or so has made them onerous to me. But isn't one movie like this an appetizer for more of the same 'thrills'?
I think only if you court that excitement-- and what I know right now is I don't like it. Don't like the way they make me feel slimy, like I've swallowed a live eel. That being said- I guess it's valuable to look at things like this now and again and ask the only question that ever matters- "why?" If there are suddenly answers after a lifetime of taking this sort of thing for granted in a callous way, then it has value of a kind.
(Note: Since I wrote this, it's been pointed out to me that it's the fact that we're supposed to enjoy these kinds of movies, not be 'frightened' by them, and that their whole purpose is to court the sadist in us-- that's where the feeling of being sickened comes from: that we know they know that- meaning the producers, promoters, marketers of this type of film. And yes, that's pretty 'blech'...)
I think I'd have preferred just being entertained, but there you have it. Lesson learned. On a happier note, I got to tell my grandson Bill, the story of 'Jack and the Beanstalk' last night- his eyes as big as saucers. At the end, he said, "Tell that again"....and that made me very happy. I realized that I enjoy telling stories even better than reading them. And when I don't remember things perfectly, my inventions are pretty entertaining, even to me. Filling in the blanks is wonderfully creative and Bill sure eats it up. Plus, how often in life do we get to say "Fee, fie, fo, fum"-- and have a little face looking horrified, while loving every minute. I think I'll stick to giants and leave the chainsaws to someone else. Not just for Bill, for me too. It's important to know what's scary in a good way, and what is not.
March 4, 2007~ 2:30pm
You know in movies, how when a boat capsizes, there are characters survive by keeping their heads inside a bubble of air? That's the way life feels at times.....like the general atmosphere is poisonous, but there are small pockets of livability within it, and if we strain and stay on our toes, and really think about it, we'll get through.
My weekends are those pockets of air. So is listening to Fresh Air on NPR every afternoon driving home- the fresh-cracked spine of a new novel, a whole half dozen brownies still in the baker box, me drooling- looking at my grandchildren- laughing at things so hard my jaws hurt afterward- writing a poem that comes out just the way you heard it in your head-- these things. These things are the important ones, and it's time for appreciation on this dreary looking Sunday afternoon.
March 5, 2007~ 6:45pm
Winter is on its last legs. That doesn't however preclude a little more of this today....




I love serendipity. Here I was, just looking for a nice picture of snow and I found Maude. See? Life gives us gift-wrapped surprises all the time that are healthy and wholesome and make us feel clean again. Like snow. Like snow does for us......
But I do have to say that snowmen are getting to look less and less benign and a bit more malicious to me...maybe even evil (and that's not simply 'evil', but "E-VILLE" to me at this point) - sorta like this-

March 6, 2007~ 8:00pm
It was an evening here of browsing the web. I began clicking on old bookmarks, and came across a site that always amuses me called, "Wordplay"- and they gave a list of the Oddest Book Titles. I have to share with you my favorite, which was ranked first for 2005....

People Who Don't Know They're Dead: How They Attach
Themselves to Unsuspecting Bystanders - and What to Do
About It"- by Gary Leon Hill
(said to have sold 15,000 copies)
which (after laughing) took me to musing about all the ways the dead cling to us, and we cling to the dead. How many of you right now have voices in your heads of relatives, spouses, friends who have passed on, but who still have a strong influence on your life and you continue to hear them speaking on cue? I do that with my dad. Old teachers voices are in there too, and I guess someday when someone says, "Remember when Karen...."- I'll be beating their ears with some old anecdotal follies. One day it will be my hand reaching out of the dirt to grab or point a finger- or just point at something still catches my notice- "Oh look! Look at that flock of geese! Enjoy these now, while you can still hear the flap and swish of their wings moving overhead. I'm hearin' a lot of chains down here...." LOL! No. I don't really believe that- I do indeed think I'll be hearing harps. Or if I'm lucky-- banjos-- and I'll sing with 'em too! I know I'll still be joking around, so if you happen to feel this-

March 7, 2007~ 7:00am
To the road crews of the City of Pittsburgh:

here's my sentiments. The snow came down......as predicted. If we commuters got the word, how is it you morons ignored it? Right on the money, the forecast was, too. A dusting overnight, followed by S-N-O-W accumulations of up to 3 inches, and more to come. There was an inch and a half of sloppy, treacherous stuff I drove through, along with all the terrified cars with me, following in a collision-to-be queue of horror, all 16 miles of it. Yes, I know you're tired of this precipitation, we all are- but it's your jobs, mutton heads.
Now all I have to do is get home again. O Be Joyful.....
March 7, 2007~ 6:15pm
I came across this "dual meaning" gif today, and loved it. It truly says so much with one image. What do you see when you read this?

Do you see the word "GOOD"? That's what I saw. Look closer......see the second, hidden word pop out at you...."EVIL". And isn't that just like life, too? So many things that at first glance appear to be wonderful- good for you- are hiding something out and out awful underneath, where the truth is. Many religions are like that, couched in so much 'touchy/feelie' rhetoric while underneath lives a band of self-righteous, narrow minds intent on bending the world into a more workable, pliable mass of 'nodders' and yea-sayers. Govenments are often like this. Friendships-- almost any ideology and oh, God, YES, anything fanatical or too good to be true- look a little closer.
You'll begin to see the 'e', 'v', 'i', 'l' begin to take shape, and man, at that point say "Thanks, but no thanks!" and run as fast as your wise little legs can carry you. BEWARE. Take stock. Study a thing, a person, a proposition- and see if there is something underneath entirely different than at first glance. BEWARE ALL ADVERTISING...wherever- or whomever you see wearing it. Trust your gut- not your eyes. Lesson over. Same time tomorrow. Let's make it a 'show and tell'....you first.
March 7, 2007~ 7:00am
"While they’ve appeared sporadically in books by Wharton, Woolf, et al-- magnolias are better known for their silver screen and stage performances. Billie Holiday often wore one in her hair and, of course, there's 'Steel Magnolias'-- 'Magnolia'-- 'Magnolia Street', 'Hotel Magnolia'..."

but this stunning magnolia today is for Al, whose 86 year old mother passed away peacefully last evening. Oh the flowers of our lifetimes!- some are unforgettable, forever-blooming-- and cling to the heart like the sweet scent of magnolias on a balmy spring evening, that stays and stays- to give us a place to rejoice, always. And this too. The words of a hymn-
...Changed in the twinkling of an eye.
...Changed in the twinkling of an eye;
...The trumpet shall sound the dead shall be raised
...Changed in the twinkling of an eye.
...When we gather safely home in the morning,
...And night's dark shadows fly, what a shouting on the shore
...when we meet to part no more, changed in the twinkling of an eye.
Always a comfort. The old ones. The good ones. Much love to my buddy Al, and his loved ones. You are in a place now we all will be passing through, or have passed though, and hugs help like nothing else at this time. I had a dream that I hugged you tightly and we cried together. Did you feel it? I once wrote a poem about how much better things might be "if God's name were Maggie Mae"....well, maybe it is. Maybe this 'Maggie' is what He/She looks like. :)
(Return To Weekly Archives)




...
. or pay a visit to my Audio site to hear things
I've written-
Some are just 'jotters', thoughts as they fly- going
nowhere but where they are. If you stop and read a few~ or post a
few~ thanks for
the perusal. Last of all, if you've a hankering for rants and raging,
try making a stop at my other blog-




