<xmp> <body> </xmp> Wired Karisma

Weblog 59

March 25, 2007~ 2:00am
Tonight I watched an extremely engaging film- with lots of twists and turns, great atmosphere- thoroughly entertaining. (I can always tell a good film by the way it stays with me and sets my mind reeling about related things.) The movie was called 'The Prestige'-- and if you haven't seen it yet, it's available now on DVD, so put that on your list of 'to rent'. It's the story of two competitive, obsessed magicians, both trying to steal the other's secret of an illusion known as 'the transported man'. The setting is the very end of the 19th century; even the historic figure Tesla makes an appearance, played by a mesmerizing David Bowie. The movie got me thinking about the very human desire to believe in 'magic'- to be awed and amazed. To believe in disappearing and reappearing- the bending of the Time/Matter dimensions, able to somehow pass through this solid existance and reappear somewhere else.....by.............well, by magic.





Of course this is quite topical now- with the bruhaha about Harry Houdini's relatives wanting him exhumed so the corpse can be tested for signs of having been 'murdered' rather than the accepted tale of a burst appendix- and Houdini has always fascinated me. Not only for the remarkable way his limber and double-jointed body could find its way out of any type of restriction, or his flair and showmanship, but the way he was fascinated in searching for what's 'beyond' death itself- his interest in spiritualism, even exposing the spiritualist frauds of that time-- he was curious. He was a seeker. He was simply marvelous.





Just look at that disciplined body and the intensity that comes off him in waves. That's what we're all hungry for-- some special human beings we truly want to be real magicians. We want- need- to believe in the spectacular, the unimaginable. We want to think there is someone who can escape anything, and like Harry, even the final act-- we want that very badly.

So I'm sitting here now having watched that wonderful film, and searching the internet for topics that leap from one place to the next: magic, old posters, old photos and spiritualists, strange disappearances, unsolved mysteries......an enjoyable way to pass the time that's been spring-boarded by one film and that's opened my mind to all sorts of things. That's what a good film does: it creates a hunger. When we're hungry.............we know we're alive.


March 25, 2007~ 3:15pm
Today is one of the few Sundays I have all to myself, and I've been sitting here thinking about this asswipe from yesterday evening-- a 12 or 13 year old boy who 'charged' our car just as we were pulling out of the carport to go to dinner. I could see the little piss ant in my peripheral vision- the window was cracked about 2 inches, so I could hear him too. "Hey! Hey!! HEY!! Gimmeadollar....hey, gimmeadollar, PLEASE!" I scowled at him and began to roll the window up. "HEY!!!!" - as he continued- "I needadollar, jussonedollar, please, please, HEY!"- coming very close to the window. "No!", I answered, scowling harder. "Please, please, pleeeeeeeeeese!"

I could see a 'friend' of his-- chubbier, baggy pants-- watching from further down the alley. I didn't know if he'd put him up to it, if it was a challenge or a dare or what, I mean-- what can anybody buy with a dollar? Were they trying to get enough together to buy a pack of cigarettes, a bag of drugs-- what? It was obvious to me that the kid was speeding on something, and he annoyed the SHIT out of me. I hate obnoxious, persistent, aggressive panhandling. I've always turned folks down who take the 'in your face' approach to asking for anything. This little dickweed was unpleasantly pushy in the extreme





He was everything I've always hated about intimidating teenaged boys. From the time I was a teenaged girl I've despised that randy bravado that comes of too much time on their hands and pinballing testosterone. Wayne said, "What the hell is he saying?"-- (and actually, at that time as we pulled away he was saying, "Gimme a DOLLAR!!! YOU'RE MEAN! IF YOU WON'T GIMMEADOLLAR I'LL LIGHT YOUR CAR ON FIRE!")--meaning my Neon, parked and unprotected and still in the carport- all by its lonesome.

I repeated to Wayne what his constant stream of angry, tumbling, aggressive words were, and he slammed on the brakes and said-- "That's it! We're calling the POLICE!" I said, "Why? What good will it do?"- and he said, "I know. It'll take 'em forever to get here too." And honestly, that's the sad truth of it. Some little buzzed-out shit can make threatening statements- crowd your car and assault you with blown-pupil, stink-eye looks- act like you OWE the little shitstain something, make his demands- and the only thing calling authorities into it would accomplish is they'd give the brats a warning. (Provided the slackers were still there.) And you'd be setting yourself up as a target for later retribution.

Ain't worth it. But I'll tell you one thing......





if these little pukes think they will ever try doing me or my property damage, I have an aluminum baseball bat that's just LOOKING for an empty dopehead to crack! In this world, predatory behaviors start very young. Living in a section of the city where there is more than its share of 'whitetrash' renters who live alongside homeowners who DO respect one another's rights and privacy, I am all too familiar with too-loud music, drunken fights, cars peeling out, and yes.....youngsters without much to do, or much direction other than to go slowly crazy- and turn mean themselves. I feel bad about that--- but it won't stop a deadly swing if I have to take one. Damn delinquent bullies. How I long for country-living at times-- someplace where only crickets and bullfrogs can be heard outside the window. Someplace soft, with a peaceable kingdom all around.


March 27, 2007~ 5:15am
That memory of that persistent kid from this weekend has stayed with me. Really bothered me. Reminded me too much of those BEK's that I wrote of in this weblog a while back- which of course, had me delving into the all things paranormal again last evening. (First there was the Houdini/magician thing combined with the weird atmosphere of the movie, "The Prestige", and....well....it doesn't take much to get me started down that path.)

In my browsing, I came across this creepy bit of a very short film of what was picked up on a monitoring camera at a sleep study clinic. Click on this link and watch-- let the picture begin moving for you. I watched this several times, then used a program I have with screen capture capabilities. and came up with what I think is the eeriest glimpse of it.







"...these photos were captured from a digital video of a sleep study. The ghost enters from the right and exits stage left." Oh, indeed-y he does. OOOoooooooo....very, very strange, I must say. Strange thing indeed. He looks at bit too curious, wouldn't you say?

And what's been hovering around you these days?

March 27, 2007~ 4:45pm
I just put the storm window back against the wall behind the dining room door---the one I took out last spring and meant to put down the cellar---meant to put it back in place of the screen this fall, but never got around to it.

The reason I was moving it now, is that every day it's become the barrier between the kitchen and the dining room where each of my cats, respectively, are dished out their daily treat of wet cat food. And because Ed Harris is such a bullying female and she'll gulp hers down like a guppy then charge 17 year old Beethoven's bowl- (and he just gives up and walks away)- I had to find a 'wall' to keep her out of the room. So every day I schlepp along with that damn, heavy glass storm window, and prop it sideways across the arched entrance to the dining room so Beethoven gets his nutrition and I can have my afternoon coffee and get on the computer in peace. (It was hell trying to fend her off with a dust mop, a constant stomp of foot and hiss, and God knows what all I tried, so the storm window works best.)

In putting it back today, I glanced at the wall as I sat it down and saw-- and really saw-- the fact that my Christmas cards are still attached to the wall with loops of masking tape behind each one...some tape, right? I mean to have lasted 3 1/2 months of forced air, dry heat- and gravity alone, that's really amazing. Why are they there, you might ask? Because you will not find a greater procrastinator in all the world. Not one- the "cham-peen" is sitting right here, sipping her coffee- typing this out, and knowing that deep, deep down inside, I cherish the fact that there's no one who could make me take them down if I choose not to do so. LOL!

That's part of it. The other, is oh.......I like them. LOL!! I really do, they cheer me up- always- after Christmas- when the pressure is off, and everyone else has forgotten about it, I savor the small and meaningful thing those cards are to me. It's about how people I never see, never call-- in many cases hardly ever really think about, still-- once a year, get out their pen and think of me, and that warms my heart; I like the reminder is all. Interesting too, is that though I'm a procrastinator extraordinaire.............I've already bought my Christmas cards for this coming December.

Things I like, I guess I'm rabid about-- just like my little poetry online ezine "The Blue House"- except for entries sent to me by other writers for the upcoming issues, they're all set. Until June of 2008! It's true. I suppose the one thing that makes me weirder than most folks is that I don't care about the same things other people do. My priorities are very, very individual and personal, but the stuff everyone else puts such energy into and fusses over-- for the most part, I couldn't care less!- an odd duck through and through. My thoughts are: unless I'm actually breaking a law, leave me alone 'cause I'll do what I want. It's taken me 55 years to get here to this 'bunker' of my own life- and mostly I like things as they are. DO NOT DISTURB...


March 29, 2007~ 9:15 pm
I spent an enjoyable evening at my daughter's house, pizza and grandkids night- and it was truly one of the prettiest days in Pittsburgh in literally- months it seems. 62 degrees, 25 percent humidity, clear as any mountain top, the air full of spring. Forsythia is in FULL BLOOM, just in two days.....hedges of gold everywhere. It's a day when human beings feel downright immortal.

Little Kay is shooting up like a tuber herself. I took an old rubber, tiny baby doll over that pees when you let is suck some water by submerging it. (At 1 and a half, there nothing more fascinating than the urinary system, unless it's the human defecation system...lol.) She'd hand the doll to me , say "Pee pee!"-- and squeeze water all over my shoes and then laugh in that totally gruff way she has that lights her face like a 500 watt bulb. Mr. "4-in-two weeks" Bil was at the movies seeing the latest Ninja turtle movie, but he joined up breathlessly, coming through the front door with his other Grandma and Grandad, flashing his latest Happy Meal toy and tumbling over words, talking non-stop with his latest, "S'cuse, s'cuse" (which of course means, 'excuse me', but he totally misses the point. The point of that social nicety is quiet, soft interjection of a thought that interrupts others, but gently. Bill's is every other word....LOL!!!....charging right through like the Light Brigade, tongue-saber slashing.) He may just be the chattiest kid I knowl...and I love every second of the way everything absolute interests and fascinates him. Bill wants all words, all at once, every idea stuffed in one long breathless sentence.

So I'm home now and relaxing with some iced tea and typing away. Granny is as 'Gatling gun' at this keyboard as he is with his somersaulting non-stop stream of "s'cuses!" Kay is the earthy one, Bill the dreamer right now- and me-- I watch rapt as each of these butterflies unfold their patterned wings week to week.



***

(Return To Weekly Archives)