<xmp> <body> </xmp> Wired Karisma

Weblog 113

April 6, 2008~ 12:15am
I love the absurd and the 'can't happen' in life- appearing out of nowhere. I love the surreal and the inspired most of all...

and I'd love to see fish flying where birds (or 'blimps') should be....



I enjoy that sense of wonder and mysteriousness, and I think that may be what is at the very quick of creativity: an ability to see wonders in what others may consider mundane: to see the clouds as portents- the opening of flowers as poems, the comic strut of certain birds as ceremonial dance calling down the rain. To see a strange light in the sky and think: "UFO"!



I like to be surprised. And out of that surprise erupts inspiration to set it down in some way. Perhaps everyone's muse lives behind the eyes, in a secret space that's given to seeing the world in a new way- maybe that's what people refer to as their muse, that way of 'seeing'.



Maybe it isn't some etherial creature decked out in Greek gossamer and a Mona Lisa smile, perhaps it's simply the tickled trick of perception that resides in all of us, that says, "that is not grasshopper, it's an OMEN....it's a KING in green gladrags, and all the world is singing to him." Perhaps I'm not a middle-aged woman at all, but a seer. Perhaps rocks are laughing in the brook, and perhaps....perhaps there is more joy in looking at life if guided by that hidden eye- the one that sees fish in the sky instead of clouds- and all its gills are sparkling. Maybe there is an eternal 'Spring' inside each of us, and we need only tap into it in order to be happy.

That's what I think on this early April, very early Sunday. I hope it lasts.




April 7, 2008~ 7:00pm
Did'ya ever walk through a 'mood' that you couldn't see till it touched you creepily and clung there? It's like walking through a spider web. You know what that feels like, right? -- you're walking along, a lovely day, and you're focused on flowers or clouds, or you're watching the path, and BAM!-- SMACK into a tickly bit of spider silk that sticks to your hair, and you begin to 'Ptu! Ptu!', afraid that some has gotten onto your lips.

Well I woke up that way today-- stepped right into a mood just off in the corner of my peripheral vision where I couldn't pin it down or name it. 'Dread', maybe? Heaviness, certainly. It's the fuzzy-edged stuff that tends to collect off to the side-- nagging and unnamed.



...but it's there alright, tucked into shadows. My neighbor pissed me off when I just got out of my car this afternoon- some nonsense about yard fussiness and tidiness- (and mine is a pigsty, to be sure- but I don't mind. She does)- so she blames her dissatisfaction with the appearance of things by focusing on my poor, shedding and mammoth pine tree. (At least she gave me some damn focus for my unease. Snapped it ship-shape right into pissed-off-ed-ness. LOL!!) Thank God. I had that nebulous kind of anxiety makes for tossing at night, unable to pin it down. I can deal much better with simple ire and irritation. So thanks, Ms. Persnickety. You actually did me a good turn with your harping on a tired, old subject.

Ah, spring. And the humanity that begins to burst out of stuffy houses and inflict itself once again on a landscape much more beautiful, certainly much more serene without it. Ah..................spring.




April 7, 2008~ 8:30pm
I found a way OUT OF IT!!! (The 'funk' that is....) and it's a delightful solution: RADIO!! This evening's discovery of vintage BBC-TV now offered as streaming audio, and with it-- my introduction to a classic British comedy show. (Bear in mind, this strange little splash introduction begins with-- what I can only describe for the life of me-- as a pulsing hairy arsehole...LOL!)


Click to watch it (in it's oddly cute obscenity) as it pulses and spins-- and you will find the face of one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE comedians- PETER SELLERS! I can also see the seminal beginnings of a comedic style that gave birth to the Monty Python phenomenon later on. HOW DID I EVER MISS HEARING ABOUT THIS show? It ran from 1951 until 1960. Man.......how'd I miss it??

The most exciting part of finding this, is also discovering I can listen to any BBC radio show I please, whenever I please- just by looking over their rich, rich programming. I've just finished listening to 2 of the Goon Show Episodes- (laughed out loud) and also found a two-man Scottish comedy team that I now adore-- in "Chewin' The Fat".

The problem I usually encounter with streaming sites here in the U.S. is that without the latest version of Windows Media Player- or Adobe Flash or RealPlayer- you get nothing at all, but on the BBC site, my God, they give you a CHOICE: either using their embedded player- or downloading to your own free-standing player! Excellent! Loads in a zip and plays the full half-hour. (Keep that in mind if you run into the same problem when you stop by.) Go visit, and just look at the shows....this is the easiest way out of a 'funk' in the world. Yep...laughter.




April 8, 2008~ 6:15pm
After living with a cat for nearly 19 years- (same cat)- I just realized something today: THE CAT IS BRITISH and he LOVES the BBC!!

He chirrups and trills and sits very alert to listen, then ropes himself about my ankles as I sit here laughing till there are tears at some of these shows. We both LOVE them-



but he's BRITISH! lol Even after listening, and as I prepare to go upstairs and read my book, he ignores me as per usual- until I begin to speak like Mary Poppins: that he responds to quite readily (he's assuming, no doubt, that I am addressing 'his grace'-- he's become quite perky this evening.)

British accents are more musical, I think, and cats don't cotton to slurring or sloppiness, and they like their consonants crisp, crisp, comPLEETLY crrrrrrrrrrr-isp!

His Nibs and I.......will retire now...or I will.
(He's having his ice cream.)






***

(Return To Weekly Archives)