Weblog 166
April 12, 2009~ 12:00am
Happy Easter to all! I will be spending the day at my nephew's house, mingling with the family, doting on grandkids- and partaking of delicious foods. (Basically, I get through holidays by the grace and generosity of loved ones.) I am not a hostess-- all my skills are rusty, my house fit for only one inhabitant and her ancient cat, and I don't cook. But I am welcomed-- each Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving --into the homes of lovely people, and I consider myself fortunate indeed to be included.
Normally, Easter is laden with a sense of sorrow for me- (since mid-childhood, and I don't know why; probably some God-awful memory I've been repressing) but the odd thing is that this year, despite no church affiliation or even attendance, I feel the promise that Easter truly holds-- and it's come to me by a strange route, and burdened with grief.
Perhaps some of you have followed the 'cop killings' in Pittsburgh. On Thursday, we laid three fine young men to rest. Men who every day, go to work not knowing if they'll be coming home again. On Thursday -Holy Thursday- this was the scene in my home town....

There's a stateliness in honoring heroes...it touches everyone...and this event, happening so close to the remembrance of the death of Christ and his resurrection three days later, gives me hope. I hope for that same translation into light for these three men; I pray their families are given comfort in knowing there is no greater thing than to lay down one's life for others-- they did this --they transcended.
Which started me thinking about all the junk in our lives. The clamoring for 'stuff'-- and the impermanent nature of that stuff, and how a vast majority base their lives on a pursuit of things that are designed to break down or to become obsolete, and what truly brought this home for me was a conversation I had on the way back from grocery shopping.
Wayne was driving his new car- (the first one in 15 years)-and complaining about how our groceries were shifting about in the trunk-- and why couldn't they design a trunk to house things better so as to prevent the constant slide and possible damage to anything you put in them.
Because I delight in hearing Wayne hold forth on any subject that gets his dander up-- I was treated to a funny (but true) harangue about how the car he was driving, with all its doodads and extras, was basically an 'accessory to a cell phone'- (which he does not own.) It has 'outlets' galore for all sorts of electronic devices and is equipped with an unasked for, unsought Sirius radio system-- handless cellphone capability and CUPHOLDERS EVERYWHERE: enough, he said-- "for forty f*ckin' cups of latte' for the morons who want to talk on their phones and listen to Sirius Coffee House Music, but they cannot make a decent trunk!"

He went on to add that, of course, this is all by design. "Look at this thing! All plastic! Made to last 2 years... all this electronic crap that will be useless with the new technical stuff coming along, and all paid for by consuming idiots who pull out their plastic and want something new after two years anyway! None of this is meant to last."
And he's absolutely right. The contrast of the frivolous with the lasting, the important-- hit me right between the eyes.
The sacrifice those men made was important...the emotions this community shared together, they were important, and the spirits of those three officers do live on: they rose up, each in his own 'Easter' and felt the splendor of resurrection. I believe that. That is permanence.
And what about our symbols for this holiday? The flower that is associated with every Easter service is the lily...

trumpeting the beauty of finding new life, trumpeting- that death is not the end.
I found this information on the internet about the lily:
Lovely as they are, I find there's another flower even more compelling as the symbol of resurrection....

THE LOTUS! And accordingly, I found information that the lotus is a far earlier symbol of revival.
Our lives are short. Our ability to internalize and distill what is meaningful, is infinite. Whether you put on a new hat and dye some eggs, or simply meditate on the beautiful symbols of this happy/sad remembrance each year- (or like Wayne, give some thought to what lasts and what does not- and why) -this is a holiday for celebration. For joy. And I hope yours is twentyfold. My blessings to you, and once again...Happy Easter.
April 13, 2009~ 7:15pm
Today, I heard an archived interview with Margaret Whiting on NPR and it reminded me of how MUCH I've always loved her voice. Known for her mastery of phrasing, she can croon a tune that could melt ice in no time flat! She was taught to read the lyrics aloud- over and over like a poem, until she understood what the song was trying to say... and her understanding of lyrics certainly paid a dividend.

After all the tension and drama (and yes, sometime anger) of this past week, I found the perfect soother- one of Margaret's best known tunes-- and one I've always, always loved. Click on the pretty picture, go to this FABULOUS FREE site -- and scroll down to the 'Download' area. Just follow the directions. Download, and c'mon back here... (great little site to use that 'search button' feature to find some old favorites of your own!) Didya download it? Is it playing? Feel your blood pressure begin to level out? Your breathing slow a bit? Let the song rock you like cradle. Keep watching the picture....and listen, lisssssten...that's the sound of absolute ease. Nuthin' like it.
April 16, 2008~ 7:15am
Now for some fun. These pictures are circulating via email these days, and found their way to my mailbox....

This hairless thing is a Rat Mole from Australia...but according to the email

...it looks like a dick with teeth! Oh, thank God for laughter. It mitigates the suffering and the sadness, and it keeps me sane. And thanks to my friend Darlene-- who tried so diligently for three days to get these pictures to come through in my Gmail account. It was worth the wait!
***
(Return To Weekly Archives)
Happy Easter to all! I will be spending the day at my nephew's house, mingling with the family, doting on grandkids- and partaking of delicious foods. (Basically, I get through holidays by the grace and generosity of loved ones.) I am not a hostess-- all my skills are rusty, my house fit for only one inhabitant and her ancient cat, and I don't cook. But I am welcomed-- each Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving --into the homes of lovely people, and I consider myself fortunate indeed to be included.
Normally, Easter is laden with a sense of sorrow for me- (since mid-childhood, and I don't know why; probably some God-awful memory I've been repressing) but the odd thing is that this year, despite no church affiliation or even attendance, I feel the promise that Easter truly holds-- and it's come to me by a strange route, and burdened with grief.
Perhaps some of you have followed the 'cop killings' in Pittsburgh. On Thursday, we laid three fine young men to rest. Men who every day, go to work not knowing if they'll be coming home again. On Thursday -Holy Thursday- this was the scene in my home town....

There's a stateliness in honoring heroes...it touches everyone...and this event, happening so close to the remembrance of the death of Christ and his resurrection three days later, gives me hope. I hope for that same translation into light for these three men; I pray their families are given comfort in knowing there is no greater thing than to lay down one's life for others-- they did this --they transcended.
Which started me thinking about all the junk in our lives. The clamoring for 'stuff'-- and the impermanent nature of that stuff, and how a vast majority base their lives on a pursuit of things that are designed to break down or to become obsolete, and what truly brought this home for me was a conversation I had on the way back from grocery shopping.
Wayne was driving his new car- (the first one in 15 years)-and complaining about how our groceries were shifting about in the trunk-- and why couldn't they design a trunk to house things better so as to prevent the constant slide and possible damage to anything you put in them.
Because I delight in hearing Wayne hold forth on any subject that gets his dander up-- I was treated to a funny (but true) harangue about how the car he was driving, with all its doodads and extras, was basically an 'accessory to a cell phone'- (which he does not own.) It has 'outlets' galore for all sorts of electronic devices and is equipped with an unasked for, unsought Sirius radio system-- handless cellphone capability and CUPHOLDERS EVERYWHERE: enough, he said-- "for forty f*ckin' cups of latte' for the morons who want to talk on their phones and listen to Sirius Coffee House Music, but they cannot make a decent trunk!"

He went on to add that, of course, this is all by design. "Look at this thing! All plastic! Made to last 2 years... all this electronic crap that will be useless with the new technical stuff coming along, and all paid for by consuming idiots who pull out their plastic and want something new after two years anyway! None of this is meant to last."
And he's absolutely right. The contrast of the frivolous with the lasting, the important-- hit me right between the eyes.
The sacrifice those men made was important...the emotions this community shared together, they were important, and the spirits of those three officers do live on: they rose up, each in his own 'Easter' and felt the splendor of resurrection. I believe that. That is permanence.
And what about our symbols for this holiday? The flower that is associated with every Easter service is the lily...

trumpeting the beauty of finding new life, trumpeting- that death is not the end.
I found this information on the internet about the lily:
'Lilies are often called the "white-robed apostles of hope." Legend has it that beautiful white lilies sprung up in the Garden of Gethsemane where drops of Christ's sweat fell to the ground in his final hours of sorrow. Churches continue this tradition of Easter Lilies at Easter time by decorating alters and crosses with masses of Easter Lilies.'
Lovely as they are, I find there's another flower even more compelling as the symbol of resurrection....

THE LOTUS! And accordingly, I found information that the lotus is a far earlier symbol of revival.
'The Lotus is seen everywhere in ancient Egyptian tombs and temples, often held in the hands of gods and royalty. The Lotus grows in muddy waters, yet emerges from them pure and unblemished.
The Lotus is the symbol of resurrection, purity, serenity and peace. The Lotus flower was part of the Ancient Egyptian creation story. Because the flower opens each day and closes each night, it is a symbol of rebirth and eternal life.'
Our lives are short. Our ability to internalize and distill what is meaningful, is infinite. Whether you put on a new hat and dye some eggs, or simply meditate on the beautiful symbols of this happy/sad remembrance each year- (or like Wayne, give some thought to what lasts and what does not- and why) -this is a holiday for celebration. For joy. And I hope yours is twentyfold. My blessings to you, and once again...Happy Easter.
April 13, 2009~ 7:15pm
Today, I heard an archived interview with Margaret Whiting on NPR and it reminded me of how MUCH I've always loved her voice. Known for her mastery of phrasing, she can croon a tune that could melt ice in no time flat! She was taught to read the lyrics aloud- over and over like a poem, until she understood what the song was trying to say... and her understanding of lyrics certainly paid a dividend.

After all the tension and drama (and yes, sometime anger) of this past week, I found the perfect soother- one of Margaret's best known tunes-- and one I've always, always loved. Click on the pretty picture, go to this FABULOUS FREE site -- and scroll down to the 'Download' area. Just follow the directions. Download, and c'mon back here... (great little site to use that 'search button' feature to find some old favorites of your own!) Didya download it? Is it playing? Feel your blood pressure begin to level out? Your breathing slow a bit? Let the song rock you like cradle. Keep watching the picture....and listen, lisssssten...that's the sound of absolute ease. Nuthin' like it.
April 16, 2008~ 7:15am
Now for some fun. These pictures are circulating via email these days, and found their way to my mailbox....

This hairless thing is a Rat Mole from Australia...but according to the email

...it looks like a dick with teeth! Oh, thank God for laughter. It mitigates the suffering and the sadness, and it keeps me sane. And thanks to my friend Darlene-- who tried so diligently for three days to get these pictures to come through in my Gmail account. It was worth the wait!
(Return To Weekly Archives)




...
. or pay a visit to my Audio site to hear things
I've written-
Some are just 'jotters', thoughts as they fly- going
nowhere but where they are. If you stop and read a few~ or post a
few~ thanks for
the perusal. Last of all, if you've a hankering for rants and raging,
try making a stop at my other blog-




