Weblog 215
March 21, 2010~ 12:00am
Spring has OFFICIALLY sprung! Pretty soon there'll be TULIPS everywhere, standing tall and waving their scrumptious colors.

Makes me so nostalgic for those young girl days, the first ones, where not even a sweater or a jacket was needed... when the world opened up its arms and beckoned, and off I'd peddle on my bike.

The air felt so good on the skin, and smelled fresh and earthy... like clean potting soil. And there's nothing as extraordinary as the China blue of a new spring sky with cirrus clouds wisping high up in the ether, and the world is a jewelry box just opened.
This past week, I've felt that same joy each day. We had perfect weather in Pittsburgh for a week straight! That's almost unheard of....mid-60's in the daytime, dropping to 40 or so at night. I even bought two little pots of yellow fleurette mums, and put them in the large planter that sits atop Beethoven's grave in the backyard....I broomed off the old dirt and debris from winter that had accumulated on the cement slab that marks his little sleeping bungalow, and now his bed is marked with color and greens again....flowers over his bones..... it makes me happy. On nights where it dips into the frost zone again, I can carry the pot inside to protect those bright sprigs.
Some humans are flowers, too....

That's little Shiloh, two and a half years old, all decked out to say 'Aloha' to fine, warmer weather. (I just got a glimpse of son Matt's new Picasa album, and since I have fewer opportunities to share this part of my 'garden', I'm tickled to add fresh faces to the record here.) My two youngest grandchildren, Shiloh and new baby brother, Asher Malachi

(whom I called 'No. 7' till he had his given name. LOL!!) It's fun for a big sister to have a real live baby in one's arms. She seems very sure of herself, making sure his pacifier is in just right. (I can just hear her...."When I was a baby, I needed one of those too...."- ah, the privileges of age.)
Babies and spring seem to go together.
Soft.....bright.....colorful.....tender.
Oh, and TOMBOY behavior. 'Little Rascal' devilishness. Soon to be swinging from branches and climbing trees, trailing behind bigger brothers- the only girl among four brothers.

THAT'S THE SPIRIT! Hat on backwards, rough and tumble, confident as all get out. Spring takes a backseat to that kind of gumption, as the little lady enjoys la bonne vie. LOL!
New pictures of family make me very happy. It's weird to think that my DNA passes along unseen, but very much a part of new human beings. To be part of a flesh and blood chain of living beings is a remarkable thing to think about, and it pleases me to no end. And it also astounds me that I myself have strains of people long gone.....people I've never met, singing right through me -even as I sit here typing, one link in human history. Amazing.
To all those gone before, to all those coming along, Asher and I give a 'RAH! RAH!'

We're part of a living, changing parade, marching with high steps through time... and we're sharing the ride. How marvelous.
And now.....I plan on seeing "An Education"--- a 'coming of age' film about a young English girl in the 60's. (I'm in the mood for a solid love story, and this should fit the bill to a tee.) Not exactly Wayne's cup of tea.... but absolutely perfect for a middle-aged girl in a good mood, with the time to moon around some spring night, remembering.) Ah....life. Sometimes.....you're just so sweet.
March 21, 2010~ 1:20am
I saw 'An Education'- and enjoyed it thoroughly. It's 1961 London, where a precociously bright girl of middle-class background is being pushed toward Oxford by a bourgeoisie father, fearful his daughter might turn out exactly like himself in a world of the college-educated... (i.e- Oxford='set for life'). The unthinkable happens when a smooth-talking, thoroughly charming older man becomes enamored of her-- and from there it's a coming-of-age film with all the dizzying highs and despairing lows known by anyone who's ever either experienced it- or watched it in films.
I was completely enchanted by the Carey Mulligan, who plays the principle role of Jenny, the gifted young student. Her fresh-faced presence lit every scene from within her.
Peter Saarsgard plays the older man, and he's perfect in this.

His smile always looks like someone who's hurt you in the past-- is apologetic and frantically attempting to smile nonetheless, so the result is self-consciously strained. It's a layered look, and it fascinates me. (Not just in this movie, in which it's just the right touch, but always. Every time I've seen him on screen something appears to have been hurt inside, and it's quite effective in sending two messages at once.) Since his character is indeed hiding something, nothing could be more on point. The story is one heard again and again, but the outcome is surprising.
The sheer exuberance and fortitude of the character of Jenny made me want to cheer at the end....a completely satisfying experience.
If you've got the popcorn and feel like delving back into what it was like to be 16, 17 years old, and callow -wide-eyed and fresh- you will love this film.
March 22, 2010~ 7:45pm
Let me preface this by saying that this evening, I had the MOST DELIGHTFUL CONVERSATION I believe I've ever experienced in my life. I was sitting here doing my 'computer doodles' when the phone rang. I could see that the call was coming from my daughter, so I said, "Hi, Holl!".....silence. Then a sound like someone breathing heavily, making lip sounds, hesitation......"NO. IT'S BILL." lol "Bill!" I said. "How ARE you?" (More mouth sounds, struggling to get something into words that he obviously wanted to frame correctly...and bear in mind, my conversations with Bill thus far up to his almost soon-to-be seventh birthday, have been variations of 'happy birthday', 'hi, honey, let me talk to your mom'...that sort of thing.)
"WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT CAMELOT?"
My whole face lit up, because, Lord knows, since high school, I've had a happy, abiding interest in all things Arthurian.
Our conversation went on for a good 10 minutes, Bill becoming more excited by the minute, both of us trying to get words in edgewise. Mostly....what Bill was interested in was Merlin. "Do you know who Merlin is?" "Yes. He's a wizard. He tutored King Arthur from the time he was a boy."

"No. He was a MAGICIAN!" LOL!!!
We argued over whether Morgan le Fey was good or bad- (I said bad- obviously.) Bill's reference painted her as a good witch, so we had our differences. I told Bill I had some books with PICTURES I'd bring over the next time we see them. "CAN I KEEP THEM?" "Of course. I'm very excited that you're interested in Camelot." (Then the kicker......the one line that made me howl and completely delighted me, and Bill always has one...."GRAM!" -he said, words spilling over themselves, "I THINK WE ALL....mom, dad, Kay, me, you, Pap Pap Wayne....I THINK WE'RE ALL FROM CAMELOT because we're crazy and weird and we come from a special place." ROFL!!!!
He's right of course. We do. We surely do."Bill, why don't you draw some pictures of knights and Arthur and Merlin for me to look at for the next time I visit?"
Very excited...."I will. But first I have to do my homework."
That whole conversation felt like being bathed in warm, buttered syrup...that's how sweet and wonderful it felt. Thanks, little buddy. You made my day.
P.S.- After I talked to Bill, Kay got on to say hi, so I asked her what she thought about Camelot. She said, "UGH. BORING...only boys like Camelot." I told her that wasn't true; that I was a girl, and I like it a lot. It wasn't just about knights and horses and fighting, it was also a love story with a B-E-E-E-A-UTIFUL queen." Silence. Then... "BOOORING."
lol!! (Wait till she hears there's witchcraft afoot! That oughta peak her interest.) I'll just bet it will.
March 25, 2010~ 8:45pm
Almost Friday! Yippie!! I wanted to share an image from a series sent to me by my son-in-law. Have you ever seen anything so gorgeous??

A WHITE MOOSE! Wow! They're miracles. Take my breath away. What an absolutely divine looking creature- (literally.)
And then there was the most delightful email this morning at 8:04 a.m. from my daughter. A quick reference to my coming to babysit this Saturday. When she asked me if I could, I told her: "Tell Bill I'm bringing the KING ARTHUR BOOKS!" -I think that's what may have prompted what follows, and it tickled me to no end.
I'll say. And what's that line again? Miracles....take my breath away. Yep. Both things do.
***
(Return To Weekly Archives)
Spring has OFFICIALLY sprung! Pretty soon there'll be TULIPS everywhere, standing tall and waving their scrumptious colors.

Makes me so nostalgic for those young girl days, the first ones, where not even a sweater or a jacket was needed... when the world opened up its arms and beckoned, and off I'd peddle on my bike.

The air felt so good on the skin, and smelled fresh and earthy... like clean potting soil. And there's nothing as extraordinary as the China blue of a new spring sky with cirrus clouds wisping high up in the ether, and the world is a jewelry box just opened.
This past week, I've felt that same joy each day. We had perfect weather in Pittsburgh for a week straight! That's almost unheard of....mid-60's in the daytime, dropping to 40 or so at night. I even bought two little pots of yellow fleurette mums, and put them in the large planter that sits atop Beethoven's grave in the backyard....I broomed off the old dirt and debris from winter that had accumulated on the cement slab that marks his little sleeping bungalow, and now his bed is marked with color and greens again....flowers over his bones..... it makes me happy. On nights where it dips into the frost zone again, I can carry the pot inside to protect those bright sprigs.

That's little Shiloh, two and a half years old, all decked out to say 'Aloha' to fine, warmer weather. (I just got a glimpse of son Matt's new Picasa album, and since I have fewer opportunities to share this part of my 'garden', I'm tickled to add fresh faces to the record here.) My two youngest grandchildren, Shiloh and new baby brother, Asher Malachi

(whom I called 'No. 7' till he had his given name. LOL!!) It's fun for a big sister to have a real live baby in one's arms. She seems very sure of herself, making sure his pacifier is in just right. (I can just hear her...."When I was a baby, I needed one of those too...."- ah, the privileges of age.)
Soft.....bright.....colorful.....tender.
Oh, and TOMBOY behavior. 'Little Rascal' devilishness. Soon to be swinging from branches and climbing trees, trailing behind bigger brothers- the only girl among four brothers.

THAT'S THE SPIRIT! Hat on backwards, rough and tumble, confident as all get out. Spring takes a backseat to that kind of gumption, as the little lady enjoys la bonne vie. LOL!
New pictures of family make me very happy. It's weird to think that my DNA passes along unseen, but very much a part of new human beings. To be part of a flesh and blood chain of living beings is a remarkable thing to think about, and it pleases me to no end. And it also astounds me that I myself have strains of people long gone.....people I've never met, singing right through me -even as I sit here typing, one link in human history. Amazing.
To all those gone before, to all those coming along, Asher and I give a 'RAH! RAH!'

We're part of a living, changing parade, marching with high steps through time... and we're sharing the ride. How marvelous.
And now.....I plan on seeing "An Education"--- a 'coming of age' film about a young English girl in the 60's. (I'm in the mood for a solid love story, and this should fit the bill to a tee.) Not exactly Wayne's cup of tea.... but absolutely perfect for a middle-aged girl in a good mood, with the time to moon around some spring night, remembering.) Ah....life. Sometimes.....you're just so sweet.
March 21, 2010~ 1:20am
I saw 'An Education'- and enjoyed it thoroughly. It's 1961 London, where a precociously bright girl of middle-class background is being pushed toward Oxford by a bourgeoisie father, fearful his daughter might turn out exactly like himself in a world of the college-educated... (i.e- Oxford='set for life'). The unthinkable happens when a smooth-talking, thoroughly charming older man becomes enamored of her-- and from there it's a coming-of-age film with all the dizzying highs and despairing lows known by anyone who's ever either experienced it- or watched it in films.
I was completely enchanted by the Carey Mulligan, who plays the principle role of Jenny, the gifted young student. Her fresh-faced presence lit every scene from within her.
Peter Saarsgard plays the older man, and he's perfect in this.

His smile always looks like someone who's hurt you in the past-- is apologetic and frantically attempting to smile nonetheless, so the result is self-consciously strained. It's a layered look, and it fascinates me. (Not just in this movie, in which it's just the right touch, but always. Every time I've seen him on screen something appears to have been hurt inside, and it's quite effective in sending two messages at once.) Since his character is indeed hiding something, nothing could be more on point. The story is one heard again and again, but the outcome is surprising.
The sheer exuberance and fortitude of the character of Jenny made me want to cheer at the end....a completely satisfying experience.
If you've got the popcorn and feel like delving back into what it was like to be 16, 17 years old, and callow -wide-eyed and fresh- you will love this film.
March 22, 2010~ 7:45pm
Let me preface this by saying that this evening, I had the MOST DELIGHTFUL CONVERSATION I believe I've ever experienced in my life. I was sitting here doing my 'computer doodles' when the phone rang. I could see that the call was coming from my daughter, so I said, "Hi, Holl!".....silence. Then a sound like someone breathing heavily, making lip sounds, hesitation......"NO. IT'S BILL." lol "Bill!" I said. "How ARE you?" (More mouth sounds, struggling to get something into words that he obviously wanted to frame correctly...and bear in mind, my conversations with Bill thus far up to his almost soon-to-be seventh birthday, have been variations of 'happy birthday', 'hi, honey, let me talk to your mom'...that sort of thing.)
"WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT CAMELOT?"
My whole face lit up, because, Lord knows, since high school, I've had a happy, abiding interest in all things Arthurian.
Our conversation went on for a good 10 minutes, Bill becoming more excited by the minute, both of us trying to get words in edgewise. Mostly....what Bill was interested in was Merlin. "Do you know who Merlin is?" "Yes. He's a wizard. He tutored King Arthur from the time he was a boy."

"No. He was a MAGICIAN!" LOL!!!
We argued over whether Morgan le Fey was good or bad- (I said bad- obviously.) Bill's reference painted her as a good witch, so we had our differences. I told Bill I had some books with PICTURES I'd bring over the next time we see them. "CAN I KEEP THEM?" "Of course. I'm very excited that you're interested in Camelot." (Then the kicker......the one line that made me howl and completely delighted me, and Bill always has one...."GRAM!" -he said, words spilling over themselves, "I THINK WE ALL....mom, dad, Kay, me, you, Pap Pap Wayne....I THINK WE'RE ALL FROM CAMELOT because we're crazy and weird and we come from a special place." ROFL!!!!
He's right of course. We do. We surely do."Bill, why don't you draw some pictures of knights and Arthur and Merlin for me to look at for the next time I visit?"
Very excited...."I will. But first I have to do my homework."
That whole conversation felt like being bathed in warm, buttered syrup...that's how sweet and wonderful it felt. Thanks, little buddy. You made my day.
P.S.- After I talked to Bill, Kay got on to say hi, so I asked her what she thought about Camelot. She said, "UGH. BORING...only boys like Camelot." I told her that wasn't true; that I was a girl, and I like it a lot. It wasn't just about knights and horses and fighting, it was also a love story with a B-E-E-E-A-UTIFUL queen." Silence. Then... "BOOORING."
lol!! (Wait till she hears there's witchcraft afoot! That oughta peak her interest.) I'll just bet it will.
March 25, 2010~ 8:45pm
Almost Friday! Yippie!! I wanted to share an image from a series sent to me by my son-in-law. Have you ever seen anything so gorgeous??

A WHITE MOOSE! Wow! They're miracles. Take my breath away. What an absolutely divine looking creature- (literally.)
And then there was the most delightful email this morning at 8:04 a.m. from my daughter. A quick reference to my coming to babysit this Saturday. When she asked me if I could, I told her: "Tell Bill I'm bringing the KING ARTHUR BOOKS!" -I think that's what may have prompted what follows, and it tickled me to no end.
Bill just said at the breakfast table: There's Thursday. There's Friday. And then there's the fun day...SATURDAY! I asked what is so good about Saturday. He said: SHE is coming over! This was upon perusal of my weekly to-do board, where I had marked that you are going to watch the kids. Cute, huh?
I'll say. And what's that line again? Miracles....take my breath away. Yep. Both things do.
(Return To Weekly Archives)




...
. or pay a visit to my Audio site to hear things
I've written-
Some are just 'jotters', thoughts as they fly- going
nowhere but where they are. If you stop and read a few~ or post a
few~ thanks for
the perusal. Last of all, if you've a hankering for rants and raging,
try making a stop at my other blog-




