<xmp> <body> </xmp> Wired Karisma

Weblog 230

July 4, 2010~ 12:00 am
Well, YANKEE DOODLE DANDY, it's the fourth of July.



That lovely poster was painted by Anka Hariton, who immigrated from Rumania in 1985. "We all have a place beneath the stars..." - what a lovely sentiment. The country has sure gone through some earthshaking changes since that time ... I hope she remains as idealistic.

This fourth of July is rather anticlimactic here for me- no parties, picnics, parades or cookouts. I'll be going to see mum and have dinner at the Assisted Living same as any other Sunday, but OH MAN! OFF TOMORROW! Now that's a treat!        (All of you be careful out there with your Roman Candles and whatnot. This holiday seems to bring accidents galore with the host of incendiary 'thing-a-ma-jigs' that are sold.)



Wayne's been feeling punk and was off a few days from work the last week- even went to the doctor's when he spiked a fever one day, but every poke and prod was inconclusive. It 'might be shingles' was the verdict, due to the shooting pains he's had in his head but there's been no rash. My guess: a variation of the virus that's been traveling through everyone at my workplace with its global symptoms of (sometimes) a sore throat... (some deep coughing, stuffed head, sinus pain, sneezing) and on and on and on. I had it myself and honestly still have some residue of that bug in my system. It's a humdinger (or a 'doppelganger') because it mimics so many different things.

Our movie for tonight, which I've been anxious to see, was to be 'Precious'. I may still watch it anyway during this extended weekend, who knows. (Wayne wasn't exactly 'thrilled' at the prospect of seeing it. LOL!! It might be a solo viewing after all.)

Seeing him so under the weather made me feel bad, and made me aware of how much I rely on our relationship for happiness, and how very much I miss him when he's not around. It reminds me of a quote from the Lebanese poet, Kahlil Gibran: 'Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction'-- and it's so true. To have one person who shares your perspective- who really 'gets you', is priceless. Simply priceless.



(Isn't that a great picture!)


I've gotten all tied up in finding unusual, vintage images the past couple of days. They intrigue and delight me. Anything really bizarre or simply 'stunning', I cannot help but grab and save. Look at this one. What the heck is it? It's creepy, that's a given....



and it was titled, 'A Child's Play'. (Where were they going to school...inside the cabinet of Dr. Caligari? LOL!) Their long, early 20th century locks are pinned up above whitened faces so that they look like SHRUNKEN HEADS hanging there. And what's that arcane spiral symbol painted on the backdrop? WHAT IS THIS??? (But don't ya just love it?) How bizarre!

I found some stereoscopic cards that had a truly strange theme. It was 'All Hallow's Party'. I thought that might show some capering ghosts or children trick or treating, little witches knocking on doors and bobbing for apples......but no!....THIS



was the absolutely unrelated image for the 'party'. A bunch of ladies having a (whatever they are doing...looks like a laundress secret society to me)- LOL! and that LEERING FOOL peeking in on them and crashing their private funfest while the one woman, hands thrown into the air and looking aghast... shows how SHOCKING that development is. Not to be borne!! But the ladies give him what for....



by dunking his SPYING ASS right into their wooden wash tub! (If this were a vintage postcard, I can just see scribbled on the back in graceful fountain pen script: "A good time was had by all.") Back in the early 20th century, such things were raucous, good fun....no TV, no internet, no texting.....just a lot of forced ass-washing....and what's wrong with that? We need more of such sanitary pursuits if you ask me.



I've saved the best for last. This picture is so terribly wacko, it of course, has stolen my heart. May I present.....



The Amazing CHICKEN GIRL! Clucking and bending in flirtatious fashion, throwing her behind out in a seductive way, completely unaware that not even Colonel Sanders would be turned on (because you just can't get all 'warm and breathy' when someone is dressed like that. The laughter cuts right through the tension and renders pissing in one's pants).....

which OF COURSE, MUST LEAD TO MORE FORCED ASS-WASHING!!! (Maybe that was the idea, who can say?)

The past is foreign territory to me and I'm merely a tourist... but I sure do like walking the perimeter and peering in.




July 5, 2010~ 6:10 pm
It's been a quiet day...(as it tends to be when one spends the entire day sleeping)- but I did FINALLY get all my images back online....the spoken poetry .wav files, the grandparents blog (even UPDATED THAT!) -all of it. (I was up for a few hours early, early this morning, sipping coffee and finishing up)-then crawled back in bed with a thriller mystery book until sleepiness overtook me. I spent a lovely day undisturbed and all by myself.



I guess some people would find that image bereft- but to me it's just what the doctor ordered: solitude.

Here's another vintage graphic which I'd imagine describes a lot of folks out there this past weekend, who are always eager for some time off from work in order to congregate and get up to all kinds of mishchief.



(Yes I see you, horns 'n all) -chatting, drinking, socializing. (Wow, I really LOVE that picture. LOL!!!)--especially the one character on the left with the 'human mask' amid all those skeletons, he's the weirdest one: therefore I love him. I always love the weirdest ones. It's part of my makeup.

Today is 90 degrees, and I just braved opening the door and putting out food and water for the birds, whom I noticed are perched everywhere, looking enervated and panting with their beaks open.

I immediately put out a third water container- a glass pyrex pie plate and filled it with cool water. Before long, birds were guzzling, flapping and splashing, throwing back graceful necks to let the H2O flow down their upturned throats.

Happy to be of service, guys...it's BRUTAL out there today!

(While those guys are outside being roasted, I am holed up with fans on, air-conditioner running on high in the bedroom with its cool, dehumidified air coming downstairs to keep me sane....



cool and green and sane) -hunkering down low where the coldest temps are, looking with scorn at most of the rest of it and happy to occupy this space. Work tomorrow, but that's yet hours away. Right now.....it's still green peaceful.




July 6, 2010~ 7:00 pm
Just like her



I'm Melting!


(I wanted to pay a visit to mum, come home and pop 'Precious' into the DVD player).... but OH MY GOD! IT'S TOO BLASTED HOT!

Nope, I'm just gonna heat up my half of a calzone, grab a big glass of cold milk, strip to bare naked and stretch out in the air-conditioned bedroom. Nothing else will do. Hell! - just toting water and feed out to the birds I was dripping and probably lost a third of my body-mass in sweat.

This is a night for cooping up in the only room 'passably' cool, reading and playing solitaire. This heat wave is MURDER so far.





***

(Return To Weekly Archives)